Wednesday 30 June 2010

CASH ON TOUR

First, let me declare an interest. My Cash Generator shops in Maidenhead and Reading sell foreign currency. That gives me a vested interest but I am writing this as a parent and a traveller, not as an advertisement. I thought I would just say what I intend to do about travel money. Make of it what you will.

Argentina’s local currency is the peso, symbol $ (US Dollar prices should be shown as U$D but beware a little deliberate confusion). The A$ is not tradeable outside the country so you cannot buy any before you travel (and any unspent money you bring back with you will be worthless). The Argentine Government tries to manage its external exchange rate within a range of A$2.90-3.10 to the US$. Current open market rates are around A$3.80 to the US$, or just under six to the pound. Most shops, traders, hotels and restaurants will accept US$ cash in payment but you will probably get only around A$3 for U$1, so changing money will give you a significant edge, if you can be bothered. Uruguay has its own peso, and the open market rate is currently UR$23 to US$1, or around thirty to the pound. I would guess the street rate will be UR$20 per US$ and US will be accepted everywhere.

I have checked with Iberia and you can find their London-Madrid flight menu here:

http://www.iberia.com/ibcomv3/content/COMUN/PDF/tumenu_1005.pdf

(3Mb pdf)

Soft Drinks are €2.50, Breakfast €7.00 and a typical Sandwich and Soft Drink combo €10.50. Only Euros or Debit Cards are accepted on board, no other cash. On the flights between Madrid and BA, all food and drinks are complimentary.

It is slightly different for me as I am going on the trip but, if I were sending my son unaccompanied, I would give him €30.00, US$100.00 and £100.00 cash. I would make sure the US$ was in small denominations, say 3 $10s, 8 $5s and 30 $1s. At today’s exchange rates in my shop, the foreign currency would cost £93.60. He would have money for the short flights and Madrid airport, plenty of small dollars for local expenses, and a chunk of money to change into A$ and UR$ if necessary, or bring back if not. That’s a fair amount of cash to carry around for a lad so I would suggest he deposit all but a day or two’s worth with the management.

A little bit of cash will go a long way on essentials – empanadas can be had in Argentina for A$3, a large plate of pasta in Montevideo for US$4, a steak as big as a pillow for US$10 in Rosario, according to my research. Watch out for manufactured goods, though. An official replica Pumas 2009/10 shirt will set you back around US$90 including sales tax (up to 27%, which may be reclaimable on departure, I don’t know). So give the little darling some more money if you want an expensive present as well as a postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment