Thursday 17 June 2010

COMMUNICATIONS ON TOUR PART III

Sorry for the delay, haven’t been well for a couple of days.

So, cutting to the chase, I have found two companies who can provide prepaid simcards for Argentina:

http://www.planetomni.com/SIM_CTRY_argentina_DTL.shtml

and

http://www.cellularabroad.com/argentinaSIMcard.php

I am not going to detail their charges because they both offer service based on callback, where your outgoing call is converted to an incoming one through a VOIP virtual exchange so you might wait a minute for a connection, call quality can be very unreliable, and charges may be levied on the other party. Have a look and make your own mind up.

These are the people I intend to use.

http://www.cellhire.co.uk/products/international/simcards/argentina

This is not a prepaid service, but they will send you an email alert when the bill reaches an agreed level. They are UK based, which makes me feel comfy. They have two offers, one of which (O2 World) is a little cheaper than just roaming from the UK. It’s the other one I recommend.

The Local Argentina SIM option costs £10 (or £20 including a rental handset, if you do not have an unlocked phone which will work in Argentina). Then you get local calls for 18p a minute, local texts for 14p each, calls back to the UK (including calls to UK mobiles in Argentina) for 45p a minute (texts 25p) and all incoming calls are free.

There is a snag with this solution - the local Argentina SIM will not work in Uruguay. Sadly I have been unable to find a way round that one. I plan to take my UK SIM with me and use it (as little as possible) when in Montevideo. I think that inconvenience is a small price to pay for affordable communications during the majority of the tour.

If you want to do business with Cellhire, you can go via the website or contact their Account Manager, Ms Lindsay Wilkinson, on 01904 616771, 07831 640090 and at lindsaywilkinson@cellhire.com. I will have some handouts at the Tour Meeting Tuesday 22 June for those who want them.

No comments:

Post a Comment